A formal letter to my instructor

Subject: self-introduction

Dear Professor Brad

My name is Khatcharin Ng Yi Lin, but feel free to address me Khat. I am currently a year one telematics student from Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) attending your effective communication module. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic in 2018 with the diploma of electronics, computer and communications engineering. The reason why I choose to pursue this course is because the modules are relatively related to my diploma and I wish to further my studies in this area.

Aside from academic interests, I take great joy in participating in sports related activities. During my free time, I accompanied my mother to engage in a tabata style of exercising with the community at Punggol. I also participated in the recent adventure club outing with a fellow classmate to a hike cum cycle at Pula Ubin. Through this event, we both got to know and interact with our seniors of different courses which further deepen our understanding of SIT.

In terms of my strength in communication, I am able to express myself confidently in writing. English grammar does not pose much of a problem for myself. I also have experience in communicating with delegates through my recent part-time work experience where I was required to guide them to the location of registration. During my internship with Soda Vision Pte. Ltd, I also went out of my office to other locations, such as Flextronics, to help out with the project that the company had a collaboration with other companies. Through these, I was able to interact with engineers on site to work on a gantry system installation and the system testing.

In terms of my weakness in communication, I am still unable to express myself in a more professional level. I also have some difficulties in communicating in front of a huge crowd, where I would stutter at awkward pauses and not fully passing the content of my presentation to the audiences. To overcome this weakness, I will try to open myself up and take up the courage to speak out my thought and opinions during group discussion.

Through this module, I would like to firstly improve my communication skills so that it will not pose much of a problem during my future work. Secondly, I would like to improve my difficulty in communicating in front of a huge crowd so that the content of the presentation will be passed on successfully. I look forward to learn more about technical communication in the upcoming classes.


Warmest regards
Khatcharin


Commented on: Musfirah, Jerome, Hilman, Ming Yu, Luna, Josephine
Last edited: 5th November 2018

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Khat,

      I enjoyed reading your email. The content and structure is very good. Your elaborations for your interests and strengths were well thought out but I felt that you could have given an example for your weaknesses. However, the email overall is well-written.

      Yours sincerely,
      Musfirah Binte Latiff

      Delete
    2. Dear Musfirah,

      Thank you for your constructive feedback and comments. I will look into improving the areas pointed out in the future.

      Best regards,
      Khatcharin Ng Yi Lin

      Delete
  2. The content is alright. The structure is well crafted out and organised. Have some room for improvement as there can be more wow factor to make it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lune,

      Thank you for your comments and feedback. I will look into improving in the future.

      Best regards,
      Khatcharin

      Delete
  3. Hi Khat,
    The content and structure of this letter is good. It has a lot of information with elaborations of your strengths and interests. The language used was good. The only improvement I see that I would like to see is probably on would be some ways or plans on how you decide to tackle your weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerome,

      Thank you for your comments and constructive feedback. I will look into improving it in the future.

      Best regards,
      Khatcharin

      Delete
  4. Dear Khat,

    I really enjoyed reading your self-introduction. This email is well crafted with specific examples. I like that you have shared your academic interests with us with details. I feel that I have known more about your personal interests. The details that you provided allow me to have a better understanding about your strength and weakness in communication.

    The language used was very fluent and clear. For “year 1”, it should be “year one” instead. You can also further develop your weakness with more information.

    I look forward to see you in class every Wednesday.

    Regards,

    MingYu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ming Yu,

    Thank you for your comment and constructive feedback. I will look into improving it in the future.

    Best regards,
    Khatcharin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Khat,

    Thank you for this comprehensive reflection on who you are. I appreciate the detail in your description. I'm happy to learn about your varous interest and experience in a wide range of areas, and to learn about your strengths and weaknesses in communicating.

    You mentioned your adventure club outing to Pulau Ubin. That place is, in all honestly, one of my favorite in Singapore, especially for family bicycle trips.

    You also mention your internship. Who was that with? What was your job? And you reference being a delegate. For what?

    There are some language issues in this letter. Please review the following:

    1. verb issues
    -- I accompany my mother engage >>> (verb form)
    -- I also participated in the recent adventure club outing with a fellow classmate to a hike cum cycle at Pula Ubin. Through this event, we both get to know and interact with our seniors of different courses which further deepen our understanding of SIT. >>> (verb tense inconsistency)
    -- I also have some difficulties in communicating in front of a huge crowd, where I would stutter at awkward pauses and not fully passing... (verb tense/lack of parallel structure)

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Draft #1

Reflection on TLM 1010 Technical Communication I